Friday, December 1, 2017

Interview with Slow done by Patrick posted on 12-1-17



Interview with Deha  vocalist and all instruments  of  Slow  done by Patrick  



1.Hello  Deha  please introduce yourself  to  the readers? How are things going in  Belgium these  days?


Well, I am Déhà, 1985, musician, music producer (mix, master, recording), music coach (musicology, vocal coach ...) and trying to become freelance in music producing as my main job.

I am doing quite fine, despite the insane rain and cold weather here, hah.



2.When did you  first  become interested in writing and playing music?What  was the  first  instrument you  learned to play?What  instruments do you currently play and are their  any instruments you  would like to  learn one day?

Ouf.


I think I got interested in music back in 1989 when I was just four years old. From there, I’ve listened a lot, carefully, just listened, but I remember back then we had AMIGA computers, and I discovered that programs such as OCTAMED were sound trackers, kind of an old-school digital audio workstation, used to make video games music. So I started like this.
I’ve learnt to play guitar first, but it’s not my main instrument. As I learnt by myself, I am quite incapable to play live with guitars. So I consider myself more of a bassist. I also play a bit of piano and drums.

I’d love to be able to play those instruments masterfully. And violin / cello / Theremin. Mostly.



3.Who  are  some of your influences and favorite  musicians?

Too many to say, seriously.


4.Deha you  started  Slow  in 2007 when did you first  get the idea to  start this band?

I wanted something which was a ‘trip’ to deep waters, and space at the same time. This kind of darkened blue mood. For me, it almost was the antithesis of Yhdarl, which was primal darkness, suicide, and so on. Now I believe Slow has emerged to something better since “Gaïa”, when I introduced voices to the band. Maybe a bit more mainstream, per se? But it has become what I wanted, and it is even more amplified by the presence of Lore in the band.




5.Who  would you  say  are  Slow's biggest influences?

Darkness, serenity, drowning, voyage, Blue.
There are no musical influences in Slow. I never influence myself with other music.



6.I believe you are the sole member of Slow did you plan on working as a one man band  or would you like to find new musicians to work with?

Well, Lore got into the band this year, as I was composing/finalizing the latest album “V – Oceans”. For me, she is a milestone, despite such a small time she’s been in the band.
As for composing… I think we would stay like this right now. If one day we go live, then, I already know who I would ask. (Dan if you read.) It’s true that I am taking care of almost everything in the band (all instruments, voices, production), but once again: Lore gives me limits and puts other limits away. The workload is more than shared.



7.If you  had the opportunity  to work with  any musicians{past or present} who  would you  like to  work with?

Hm. I believe I would go for Jacques Brel, first. Then I’d love to work with Devin Townsend, or Ihsahn. But I’d add Diamanda Galas also. I have no idea, too many outstanding artists. As much as for example I would love to collaborate with my friend Amduscias from Temple of Baal.




8.V-Oceans is  Slow's fifth full length which is being released through Code666  how did you  come in contact  with this label?

I have no damn idea. I was contacted by them, out of nowhere. It’s still an amazing shock. I didn’t even go to ask or else.
 
9.How long  did it  take  to  write  the music  for  V-Oceans?

June 15th 2015 until June 15th 2017. Two years.
I know the dates because it was just on the day that Shape Of Despair released their masterpiece Monotony Fields. Fate had it that I finished two years later.




10.Besides the upcoming release are any of  Slow's previous  releases  still available for the readers to buy?Besides physical releases  do you have any other merchandise available for the readers to buy if yes  what is  available and where can the readers buy it?
Right now, only digital. Yet I am planning some reissues of the other albums, in case. Priority being on album IV & III.
No merch, unfortunately.
Everything digital is on musicalexcrements.bandcamp.com
 
11.Besides  working Slow do you  currently  play in  any other  solo projects or bands?If yes  please tell the readers a little  about them?
I am pretty known in the ‘scene’ to have a lot of bands & solo projects. Yet the main ones are :
. Clouds (international / atmospheric doom)
. Ter Ziele (Belgium / Depressive black / doom)
. Imber Luminis (solo / atmospheric something metal)
. Maladie (Germany / progressive black metal)
. and I would stop here.
 

12.When  not  working on  new  music or  band  business  what do you  enjoy doing  in your  free time?
I try to make photo retouching under the monicker I BREATHE NEEDLES. Or well, the typical : games, listening to music, watching movies, …
Yet : I don’t have a lot of free time. Which is okay.
 
13.Thank you  Deha for  taking the time to fill this  interview out  do you have any  final words for the readers?
Don’t be ignorant.

                                                            Band   Contacts
                                                     https://www.facebook.com/slowdooom/
                                                     https://musicalexcrements.bandcamp.com/